Monday, March 12, 2018

No Sunday fun day, but Friday funzi

Friday I woke to much excitement.  The snowy grey skies were gone and blue skies had returned.  I had a few errands and things I had to do but then I looked at my roommate, Rob and said, I have to go to Pyramid, It's too nice not to.  (also knowing I needed to work out as 2 days before were weak to none, and the next days to come were not going to include any play either).
I quickly convinced him to go out with me.  We got to Pyramid and I saw my two favorite guys, the Saltonstall brothers.  One was skate skiing or shall I say blazing around the parking lot and up the mountains ...he was everywhere and fast!!!  The other speed skinned up the mountain and then met us at the top at one point and skied a quick lap with me while Rob continued to climb up, and then he went down with Rob and I.  I sadly convinced him to do Sharon's traverse with me which ended up being bumps and ice and no new snow since the day before blew 30-50 mph winds when it was snowing.  However, I'm not sure his way down was going to be any better for me.  I decided that when I saw him rabbit hop continuous turns in the steep brush, which I knew I couldn't do.  

Before leaving I lost Kodi and then this crazy truck came plowing into the parking lot and got really stuck from missing the turn in and hitting a burm of snow!!!!!  I saw the GV license plate and immediately thought it was a a truck full of Navy Seals showing off.  So I told Rob and Dicky that we should leave fast before they make us pull them out.  I was not impressed!  This was an odd reaction I realized because usually when the Seals are around its all giddiness for all girls.  hahaha
The next thing I know, my husband and several other swimmers are jumping out of the truck, saying hi and then they all so strongly pushed the truck out of the snow.  I couldn't believe it, it was quite comical at this point because it wasn't the Seals, it was my husband!!  I said hello...I gave him and them a piece of my mind about him taking my safety ski beacon on their training and not telling me and leaving me without it for my back country ski... and then left to head back to town as we had date plans soon that evening.
On the way to town when we hit cannery row, Rob and I found the greatest flock of eagles poached on the rooftops awaiting their "evening meal" as Jason calls it.   sorry my pics are not that great.  I will try to get some better before leaving Kodiak.
When I moved to Kodiak I told myself that I would not take a bald eagle for granted living here with the winter load of them taking up winter residency here, because there are people in the lower 48 who never see an eagle in the wild for their entire lifetime.  Therefore, each time I see one, I still marvel at their greatness.  Their talons, their nests, their beauty and their ability to ride a thermal in the sky over a giant mountain or the great ocean out front of Kodiak.  (we can add this to the list of my many things I will miss of Kodiak!).  ~Shanna


 

1 comment:

Moving is hard! Playing now to Refresh and Prepare.

Shanna on top of Wolverine Man (Anchorage, AK) The past few weeks in Kodiak were super busy, full of emotion, and full of exhaustion, ...