Sunday, February 25, 2018

Food = fun and happiness

Yesterday (Saturday) was about being productive, blue bird skies, and friends.

Jason and I slept in as we have been burning the midnight oil a lot lately.  I fear Monday is going to be a tough one as it seems to catch up to us on our first day back to work for the week!

As Jason put it, I was on fire (<- me, Shanna).  We started our day with day two of a beautiful, whipped berry/fruit/collagen shake.  The dietitian in me isn't sure I'm in love with the fact that it was full of just fruits, but we had them, and they needed to be used up, and this was a way to do it.  However, I am in love with the whippiness that it has at first and the most beautiful pink color I've ever seen aside from my traditional strawberry birthday cake.  :).
 


We then made a wonderful hearty breakfast for us and our roommate Rob, of eggs, so many yummy veggies and potatoes because we have SO many potatoes in our house due to our produce coop!
While we were making breakfast, we received a knock on our door from two young teenage girls who were participating in a weekend food famine in their church and they were seeking food donations for the local food bank.  Yay, bye-bye a whole bag of new potatoes!!!!  and several other things!  This is my favorite annual visitor to my door besides my father! :)

We finally made it outside for the day.  Jason geared us up for ski, however when we made it to the parking lot of the ski mountain, there was NO ONE else in sight!  Some days you would rejoice that you "get first tracks" or the whole mountain to yourself.  This was NOT one of those days.  The winds had been blowing 18 mph with gusts up to 38mph at the airport, I believe I heard.  The temps were hanging around 37 at town so that means about 32-35 at the mountain.  There was a beautiful beam of warm sun on the mountain but everyone knew today was not the day that the snow was going to warm up and turn to corn.  At the parking lot I wouldn't even get out of the van!  Jason made multiple small walks to assess the snow and thankfully reported back to me that it was a no go. The snow was ice, hard, and no thawing had happened today.  Thank goodness!!!  Instead we found a protected brush area to walk us and the dogs while the sun was still beaming and giving us the weekend Sun Day feelings of warmth and happiness.
After the walk, we retreated to the local water hole and ran into our good friends DJ and Tim.  It's so fun to have a place to stop into that allows for random adult social time.

At home we made a new recipe that I found to help use up one of our 3 heads of cauliflower, again from our much loved but well supplied produce coop.  The recipe was: buffalo wings made with cauliflower.  Holy hot and YUM!!!  Besides no excessive chewiness from chicken, we still got the whole effect of hot wings from the baked cauliflower.  I even made the recipe wrong because Moeder's can't read recipes or follow them right, but I think my mistake was not noticed and that is how I will make these puppies in the future!


Other food I worked up Saturday in the morning before our outing was homemade sauerkraut and a cauliflower pizza crust for this week, along with our veggies for our egg fritata that we will make Sunday night for our work week.
Meanwhile, I am working on my 3rd round of moose bone broth in the crockpot, with one more to go!  Now to eat all this food before April 2nd, as I just booked my airfare out of Alaska to SLC, then to Chicago to see Lauren, then to Cleveland to see the Podoll's, and then finally to KC to start our ever exciting road trip through Kansas!  Thank goodness I have many friends and family to see along the drive because Jason may not allow me to pick our road trips anymore! ;).

Also...good vibes appreciated as we are narrowing down on some rental homes in SLC.  It will feel so relieving once we sign a contract!    ~Shanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving is hard! Playing now to Refresh and Prepare.

Shanna on top of Wolverine Man (Anchorage, AK) The past few weeks in Kodiak were super busy, full of emotion, and full of exhaustion, ...